225g unsalted butter
225g caster sugar
finely grated zest from 1 lemon
225g self-raising flour
For the drizzle topping
Juice 1½ lemons
85g caster sugar
How to make
- Heat your oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Beat together 225g softened unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar until pale and creamy
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time then slowly mix it through
- Sift in 225g flour
- Add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon andmixuntil
- Line a tin with greaseproof paper,
- Then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon or spatula.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 1/2 lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp and crunchy topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve.
Note: You can use any tin you wish, loaf tin, cake tin. The type of tin you use may affect the baking time.